19 October 2009

Conquering Fears and Doubts

Aspiring to or being in a leadership role can bring you squarely up against every fear and doubt you thought you'd been able to handle. Suddenly that hesistation you have about speaking in front of a group or telling somebody "no" is keeping you awake at night and making your palms sweaty. Do you really have what it takes? Do you match up to the impressive resume? Were all those previous awards and accolades just a hoax or out of pity? Are you all fluff and no stuff?

Whenever I get into that place of doubt, seeing my worst fears around every corner, I try to get focused on the here and now. I remember that everyone is human. We all have dark corners we're afraid others can see into. We're all ashamed of something we've done or said. Nobody's perfect, nobody's immune from doubt.

I find that love and compassion are the best treatment for fear and doubt. And that tender-loving-care attitude needs to start with ourselves. Then, reach out and give the person next to you a sincere compliment or a smile. Remember that they might be carrying a heavy load or fear today in their heart.

Here's a favorite quote of mine from the "Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz that is applicable when fear takes over:

"Always do your best. Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse and regret."

Words to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!