05 April 2010

On Accepting Assistance

A health emergency in the immediate family over the Easter holiday weekend has reminded me, once again, that "no man is an island". It was a precarious and scary situation. Her seemingly minor ailment turned deadly in just a matter of days. For the first 72 hours we didn't have any idea what the future might hold. In the past few days I have been awash in offers of food, babysitting, prayers, transportation, anything that might be needed for my stepdaughter who was struck by a virulent staph infection. Now we learn that she is healing faster than any of the doctors told her she would. Far, far from the scenario they painted for her just 24 hours ago.

There is power in asking for help. Even when no apparent help is ever provided. Thoughts and prayers of healing and wholeness can never be scientifically proven to have moved the situation as it happened, but there's no doubt in my mind because I've seen it unfold in such a way too many times to question anymore. I don't know how it works and I figure its none of my business. Nor do I likely have the mental capacity to understand it. All I know is that time after time when confronted with a seemingly insurmountable problem in my life I have asked trusted friends to know what I could not: that everything would be o.k. No matter their religion, or their system of beliefs. It just works. And the greater blessing is knowing that there are people who stand ready to assist in whatever way fits them best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!