26 May 2010

How Much Value are You Adding?

One of my leadership mentors always focused on and spoke about being a "person of value". There was a time when I wasn't really sure what he meant. I decided not to ask him but rather to watch him because I know what someone shows you means much more than what they tell you. And over the years he has demonstrated over and over again what it means to be a person of value and I've taken those lessons to heart and tried to model them in my own life. Here's are a few things I've observed in watching him:

1) A person of value respects diversity: of opinion, background, culture, religious belief. And they learn as much from others who differ from them as much as they teach what they know. And they allow themselves to be comfortable in any arena of great diversity, because they know diversity adds value.

2) A person of value is serious about the commitments they make and don't just "take up space". They find a way to add to every group they belong to whether in a professional, volunteer or family role. They show up.  Physically and mentally.

3) A person of value strives to serve a higher purpose and a greater good. With their eyes focused on a bigger picture they are less distracted by the momentary dramas and challenges that come along with any endeavor.

4) A person of value knows that they have something to offer and aren't afraid to bring it forth. They don't worry about getting credit for the value they bring or spend time fretting over any perceived lack of standing or ability. They offer what is theirs to the best of their ability and let that offering move into the situation as it will without pushing it as an agenda.

5) A person of value will give their endeavors their best effort but will be able to walk away, if necessary, with a clear conscience knowing that they did the best they could.

6) A person of value listens. Really listens. Listens without prejudging or deciding ahead of time what they think the outcome should be.

There is a way to add value in every relationship we are in. Starting with the relationship we have with ourselves! I find that the people I know that seem to be natural leaders are those that strive to add value in every situation. Think of those individuals that you know that everyone instinctively likes and trusts. I'll bet they are a provider of value. We have confidence in their ability to lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!