04 August 2010

Take a "News-Cation"

I'm about to take a bit of a vacation starting tomorrow. Well deserved, if I do say so myself! I'm looking forward to a change of scenery and watching the world go by outside my car window. Yes, it's a road trip and not a short one. We're off to visit friends and family, including a new godling that came into this world just over a month ago. There's something about a vacation, even if it's eating cheetos and drinking Dr. Pepper in the front seat of a car driving down our highways and byways. It's a way to get a bigger and fresher perspective on what's really important. You know, that authentic life we sometimes get too busy to uncover.

And, here's another thing I'm planning on this trip and I highly recommend it to you: I'm taking a vacation from the "news" while I'm away. Sure, I might check in with The Weather Channel to make sure the old homestead isn't threatened by any tropical weather while I am away, but that's it. No CNN, no NYtimes.com, not even Yahoo News! I'll even try to take a break from Facebook. I've done it before so I know I'm capable. I can resist!

What I'll discover is that what passes for "news" usually really isn't. It's stuff that happened to someone, somewhere, and sometimes it's sad or tragic, but it's just life. Mostly it's people talking. Voicing their opinions and thoughts. And what happens is I can get all wrapped up in their talking and forget to listen to the voice inside me. The one that can't compete with all the external noise of life and only gets loud in the middle of the night and keeps me awake (which is really annoying!).

I'm looking forward to checking in with that voice during daylight hours while the American miles pass outside my window. Perhaps I'll even stop along the road and listen to the swoosh of the wind through a wheat field and remember how that sound fueled my girlhood dreams. I'll listen to robin song, baby's heart beating, the laughter of loved ones and the music of my choice. I'll forget all the noise of cynicism  and remember that I can turn it off whenever & where ever I want to.

Ah, it's going to be a great vacation. I can already hear it.

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!