29 October 2010

Re-Source-Ful

I've always felt that one of my strengths as a leader was my resourcefulness. Back in my (pre-internet) college days it wasn't uncommon for my friends to stop by my room and ask "what do you know about X?" or "who should I talk to about Y?". I never pretended that I had all the answers but I would offer any insight I had and try to get my friend at least one step closer to the answer they were hoping to find.

Now, it seems you can find out anything with only a computer and internet connection so many of us underestimate or don't know about the resources closer at hand. I've recently observered someone in a leadership position who made a costly mistake for his organization because he didn't take the time to investigate the resources that were as close at hand as the board members and staff that he works with on a frequent basis.

As a leader he made a mistake that's easy to make. When you have great expertise in a certain field you may be prone to believe that there isn't anyone in your organization who can offer insight or experience in that area that you don't have. He felt comfortable in moving forward and only later discovered that had he known what he didn't know things would have turned out much better for all.

So, how do we avoid making this same blind move in our leadership roles? I think the first step comes in getting to know the people you are working with better every day. Spend time with them and just get to know about their past experiences and the special skills and talents they bring to the table. Secondly, don't be afraid to ask questions and admit that you may not know all the answers! It's a brave leader who can go ask someone under them on the org chart how to proceed in a certain matter. It may feel strange the first few times you do this and you may feel more vulnerable but in my experience people love to be valued for what they can offer.

Our lives are filled with people who have so much to offer if we will only get to know them and then ask for their opinions and help. If we are leading without making an effort to fully understand the resources at our command then we are not doing the organization justice. Yes, it takes time and effort to make those connections but it could save you money, save you time and maybe even save your job down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!