12 March 2011

When You Give You Lead

I recently heard the phrase "when you give you lead" and it resonated with me so deeply I've not been able to get it out of my head for weeks. The phrase was spoken by Publisher of the Houston Defender Sonceria "Sonny" Messiah-Jiles, a trailblazer in the business of African-American newspapers. She has certainly been an example of leading by giving and I've been thinking about how to put that into action in my own life.

The first layer of this for me is that giving is positive and proactive. True leadership is also positive and proactive. By giving to what matters to you, to what you are passionate about you are leading yourself and the energy of your money, time and talents in that direction. Quite often by setting this example of leadership by giving you will find others attracted to lead by giving in the same direction. Soon a real impact is being made.

The next layer is about being really conscious of where I elect to give. I recently left the for-profit business world and have gone to work for a non-profit. Over the last few years many people have asked me if I was interested in doing this and I always knew that I would have to be passionate about the mission before I could consider it. I'm very grateful that my passion and this opportunity crossed paths at the right time. I am now more thoughtful about every place I put my time and my money because I know the deep and broad impact that a committed donor and volunteer can have on an organization.

Finally the act of giving should be a joyful act without expectation of a certain reward or outcome. And leadership is the same. When we are called to lead the most joyful way to do so it to let go of our idea of how we will be rewarded or compensated for the energy we devote. When we apply our gifts with the right intention we are always repaid beyond our deepest imagining.

So I wholeheartedly agree with Ms. Messiah-Jiles. Yes! Giving is leading. And conscious, thoughtful giving is an important part of ethical leadership. Tell me how giving gives you joy and is an act of leadership!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!