13 November 2009

Thanks for Helping Me Grow as a Leader

It's been a busy week and I've not had much time for blogging but I couldn't let the week end without a dedicated blog of gratitude to a board of directors that I've served with for six years at the North Houston-Greenspoint Chamber of Commerce.

I came on the board early in 2004 as a replacement for a director who was unable to serve his term. The chair at that time impressed upon me how important it was for me to be dedicated in my attendance and my participation. I was a bit intimidated at first as the board was composed of many high level corporate  and community leaders. I even wondered if I really had anything to offer to the group, but decided that they felt I did so I should show up and do my best! Though I had served on other boards before this one struck me as the most serious and impactful.

In 2005 I was approached to be a division Vice Chairman and serve on the Executive Committee of the board. Once again I had thoughts of "what can I possibly have to offer at this level?". I decided to take that original advice: show up and participate when and how it seemed appropriate. I started to learn that I did have value to offer. My perspective may have differed from others and it was part of honoring our diversity to share that perspective.

During my six years of service on this board we've gone through some extremely challenging times. Some of our board meetings were hard, long, stressful and kept me up at night. I wasn't even aware when I agreed to serve as the 2008 Chair how much we would all go through together. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" would be applicable here. But, we kept putting one foot in front of the other and can now look proudly at what we've helped our organization to accomplish and how we've positioned it for future growth and success.

So, as I complete my term as past chair and leave this group it is with proud feelings for what we've been through and accomplished, but mostly feelings of gratitude for the relationships we've created and the way those magnificent people helped me grow as a leader. I will never again doubt that I have something of value to bring to a group or situation. And I will never doubt that others bring their own unique perspectives and value as well. I am truly blessed to have had this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!