17 December 2009

Slow Down, Contemplate

The season is finally upon us. Christmas? Hanukkah? Kwanza? No, it's the season of "Out of Office" Auto Replies. My email inbox is filled with them today, December 17th, one week from Christmas Eve. There is the equally long list of simply no replies from people in various businesses such as insurance and hospitality who don't even have time to look at emails right now. Such is the push and pull of this winding it down time of year.

As my calendar filled up for December with meetings, parties, special events and family gatherings I found myself mentally resisting each additional obligation. I've become quite good the past few years at saying "no" to things that don't really serve me but even the things I wanted to attend and knew would leave me feeling good afterwards created a sensation of rebellion deep in my soul.

Does this happen to you as we approach the winter solstice? Something about this time of year when the days are short and sunlight precious makes me want to slow down and enter into a state of deep contemplation. It feels elemental, earth-bound, like a tree forcing its roots deeper into the winter soil. It reminds me that answers to life's most vexing questions come from within and something within us relishes the search.

So, you may find me in the late afternoons with my hands wrapped around a cup of hot tea letting the heat from the cup works its way into my skeleton. What you might not realize is that my mind has moved deep into the earth, finding the nourishment to bloom and grow when spring arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!