28 December 2009

Taking the LONG View

A few nights ago I was wallowing in a bit of self pity. As the year winds down its easy to think that I've been stuck in the same place in my life. Maybe its the short days or all the cold, rainy ones we've been having. Or maybe there's just a few more feelings hiding away that need to be acknowledged and released.

I remember how I felt a year ago. I was so excited about how 2009 was to unfold. It seemed like I had finally put everything into place that would help me create the next stage of life. The experiences, the education, the training, the network. It was all there and the perfect opportunity I had been waiting for seemed within my reach. It didn't work out the way I had envisioned. Does that mean I'm not making progress? In my quick turnaround life of emails, posts, tweets and instant downloads its easy to get caught up in the short term view.

I started thinking about where I was ten years ago as the world was eagerly caught up in the idea of 2000. Once I employed a longer horizon of time I astounded myself with how my life has changed! Ten years ago I didn't even have an idea of what community development was let alone the training or inclination to move my career in that direction. And though I had been in a number of leadership positions the past ten years I've grown into the type of leader I had always looked up to. I've now got the life experience and maturity to really offer something of value. Once upon a time leadership drained me, now it feeds me. That is a change that comes from a significant shift deep inside.

So 2009 didn't turn out the way I preferred, but maybe that only means something even more appropriate and meaningful is headed my way in 2010. And what will I create in my life over the next decade? I have the tools now to make more meaningful contributions to my community and my family. Sometimes its good to stand on the mountain and notice how beautiful the valley that you traveled through really was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!