13 September 2009

Creating Rituals for Renewal

It seems fitting that on the sabbath I'm thinking about the importance of renewing the spirit and the impact that has on leadership ability. In 2009, in our "Oprahized" world do we even need to discuss how important it is for everyone to practice self care? No, I didn't think so! Yet, since we are so knowledgeable about this why do we so seldom practice what we know? Why do we continue to put so many things on the top of the list before we come to "me"?

Perhaps we believe that self-renewal must always be a lengthy and involved process: a week-long retreat, a weekend spent at a spa or out in nature, a twice weekly class, hobby or project. Believe me, I'm all in favor of the most self-indulgent ways to renew ourselves but it isn't realistic to believe we'll always have the resources (time and/or money) to take advantage of those. What if we looked at self-renewal in different ways? A short list:

Hot cup of tea
Church
Lunch with a supportive friend
Prayer or meditation
Listening to music that uplifts
A good book
A walk in the woods, or along the beach
Playing with a pet
Singing, loudly, in the car
Journaling (or blogging!)
Massage
Exercise
Watching a funny movie
Lighting a candle and watching it burn
Hot bath
Gardening
Fishing
Bird watching
Sailing
Watching the clouds

A year ago, after Hurricane Ike hit, we lost the modern conveniences we've become so accustomed to and for awhile my mind struggled against the emptiness. I went outside after the clouds and rain had passed, laid down on my deck and watched the clouds pass over me, changing and morphing shapes, for the longest time since I was a kid. What a gift!

None of us can be effective leaders in our families, companies, or communities unless we take the time to recharge our own batteries. Let's try to remember that sometimes just five minutes is all it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!