01 September 2009

Integrity: When Words and Actions Align

Integrity is, in my mind, a huge and necessary component of ethical leadership. When I look back over my experience in leadership positions and I notice when I felt uncomfortable or exposed it was usually because what I was saying and what I was doing weren't matching up. Sometimes as leaders we say certain things hoping that saying them will make them so and alleviate the need to be honest and possibly perceived as being negative. Or sometimes we tell one person a different version of the "truth" thinking that because of our relationship or their status that it will make things easier.

Or things on our end, behind the scenes, start to change and we don't let others know that the story we relayed with such confidence before isn't how things are really going to look. We're unable to face up to our responsibility to be honest and hide behind an organization, a process, a committee, or another leader.

My hope is in this blog we can own up to our own leadership blunders and missteps, learn from them, learn from those demonstrating leadership in its highest form, and use our hard won leadership skills to create a better community where ever we live, work and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!