17 September 2009

The World Just Keeps Getting Smaller

Yesterday at an ABWA luncheon I met a lovely lady from Chile who now lives and works in Houston was visiting our group for the first time. The person who brought her wanted her to tell us the story of how she came to live in the United States. Her tale began with how she had followed in the footsteps of others in her family and attended a small, liberal arts college in Nebraska. "Nebraska?", I quickly piped in since this is my home state. She graduated from Hastings College in Hastings, NE which is where my paternal grandmother lived and 60 miles from my hometown of Superior. And then when she asked me where my hometown was we discovered that we had something else in common. Her sister-in-law is from Superior! Those of you from Houston and other large metropolitan areas would probably be laughing at my astonishment, but when you find out that Superior has a population under 2,500 you could probably deduce that the odds of us meeting and having this in common are quite high! And, her sister-in-law's father worked for the same company as my father did.

This lovely lady and I have promised to get together soon for coffee and explore our shared connection and get to know other things about each other. When the Universe sends some synchronicity like this my way I try not to ignore it because you never know what good will unfold as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!