07 September 2009

Labor Day: Honoring Our Work in This World

I am truly grateful to have this day created to honor labor. Labor has become a word with a bit of a negative connotation, as we usually associate it with hard, grueling, backbreaking, sweaty physical work. It certainly can mean that and it can also mean the joyful labor undertaken to bring a new life into this world. Today I want to take a moment to honor my labor, my work, my career and recognize that it brings meaning not only to my life, but to the lives of others. I also honor the labor of all human citizens of this world and the interconnectedness that our labor creates. If you get down to the real core of why we work isn't it really so we can be in community with one another? Sure, its a way of creating energy out and then the energy in typically looks like money or goods or services. There's just so much community and co-creation in work and if we can find the joy in our labors we can tap into that divine undercurrent within each other.

I am especially grateful today for all those who labor in careers that I choose not to do: nurses, child care workers, construction workers, garbage men, firemen, police officers, food processors, politicians and many others. And here's another joyful shout out to all those who chose the labor of being parents, stepparents, and foster parents. I vow to move into my week of work with a new appreciation for my mind and hands and the creation that results by their actions as well as all those who I labor with and those who support my lifestyle with their labors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!