22 September 2009

Leadership Lessons I Learned from My Parents

In case you don't already realize that your kids are going to end up learning more from watching your actions then from anything you ever tell them, consider everything you model in your life that came from watching your parents! Today I have been ruminating on the leadership lessons my parents taught me without ever saying a word.

First, some background that might help put my story into perspective. Though I now live in the fourth largest city in America, Houston, situated in the south along the Gulf coast, I was born and raised smack dab in the middle of the country, officially in the middle of nowhere, in Superior, Nebraska. If everyone fills out the census form they barely hit 2,000. Growing up in a community of that size is a completely different experience than living in a big city. Everybody knows who you are and what you're up to. There's literally no place to hide. Consequently your actions can have larger consequences (both good and bad) as they ripple out at the speed of lightening.

My mother was a teacher in the school system, my father a chemist at the local cement manufacturing facility. Here's some of the leadership lessons they taught me by example:

1) Give back to your community. From the library board to the school board, church activities, fundraisers, men's and women's groups, my parents always found time to be actively involved in making the community better. Now that they are Texans they continue that example.

2) A reputation is built one relationship, one action, one word at a time and is the most valuable thing you own.

3) A bad reputation can be created and maintained much easier than a good one.... so don't go there!

4) Accept everyone and welcome their input and contributions. We are all part of the human family and have intrinsic value. Everyone can contribute at some level and at some time.

5) Don't let other people define you or limit you. My dad told me once that the "cream always rises to the top" and I know now that we all have that good inside of us (the cream) and we just need to find it and use it.

6) The pioneering spirit didn't die with the last sod house or log cabin.

7) Treat others the way you want to be treated. Even family... especially family!

I'm certain as soon as I close this blog post I'll think of other leadership lessons my parents taught me, but this seems like a good place to start and stop. I'm truly grateful to have parents that continue to teach me how to be in the world and I hope that I can pay that lesson forward.

1 comment:

  1. Jill,
    Beautiful tribute to your parents and excellent advice! I, too, grew up in a small town and contend that it's far easier to transition from a small pond to a large one than the reverse. Thanks for sharing your perspectives!
    Cheers,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!