03 September 2009

Gurus, Guides and Girlfriends

I like the title of this blog post so much I might write a whole book on the subject some day! I think these three "G's" are important to keeping my inner life centered and my inner light shining. Now, I don't want to get overly serious about the word "guru". Some people give that word an evil intent and think it's about control or overt influence, when really its simply an intellectual or spiritual guide. I've never been a very religious person, although I am comforted by ritual, it's just the dogma that makes me itchy. I have had some gurus though, some semi-official and others who had no idea they held such an esteemed place in my consciousness. I used to think a guru had to be a lifelong relationship and deliver you to the ultimate promised land of enlightenment, but now I know that gurus are with you for as long as their knowledge is needed or applicable and then you are free to move on and find another guru... or not!

Guides are important, too, when it comes to leadership and life. A guide is usually someone who isn't a mentor in the official sense, but you look up to them and use their words and actions as inspiration. Even someone going through a really rough patch can be a guide. I am inspired by watching people I admire handle the quirks and craziness of life that come along, sometimes gracefully, sometimes kicking and screaming the whole way! Wow, this fabulous person I think so much of is really just like me. That inspires me.

And girlfriends. Let the women of the world not forget their girlfriends. I am blessed to have a husband who is my partner and my best friend in the whole world, but even he has his limits. Men will only walk around a problem with you and look at it from every angle for a finite time and then it's "you've got to get over this". Girlfriends never say "you've got to get over this". Never. They will gently remind you that the tsunami of pain and disappointment that is washing over you at the time in no way changes the essence of who you are. A real girlfriend will go to battle for you, a warrior by your side.

Sometimes you'll be blessed to find someone who fits all three roles for a time. Here's to my gurus, my guides and my girlfriends. Three essential tools for this leader.

1 comment:

  1. I like this one, Jill. My boss is both my guro and my guide. I've worked with/for him since 2001 and he has taught me more in not only my career but how I interact with people than any other person. He has definitely smoothed my rough edges -- those you may fondly (or not so fondly) remember. ;)

    Seems once I got married and we started a family, my life evolved around the kids and my extended family. As the kids got older, I found I missed having girlfriends in my life. I once again have a close circle of friends that are "mine", not family related really. I forgot how much I missed that in my life.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!