02 September 2009

Nurturing a Young Leader

Last night I attended my P.E.O. chapter's monthly meeting (www.peointernational.org). As usual I was tired from a day of work and not really wanting to go. Staying home and watching a movie sounded so much more appealing, but I know from experience that I would be missing an important part of feeding my spirit if I didn't attend.

This chapter has been my home since 1984 and it was the scene of my first, real adult leadership experience. Not long after joining the chapter I was asked to take on the easiest of our seven officer roles. I accepted and it helped me learn so much about the organizations and my sisters. Within four years I found myself in the position of chapter president and probably one the youngest chapter members at that time. I was astounded that these "older", worldly women would want me to lead the chapter for this two-year commitment and I was very nervous about taking that on since my husband and I had just started our own business. But, I dove in headfirst and what a learning experience it was. I certainly made plenty of leadership mistakes and missteps. I would get frustrated that I couldn't change things faster or get 100% member involvement. I was the typical young leader who thought it was all about me and all up to me.

But, what a gift that experience in that particular place and time was! You see, my P.E.O. sisters allowed me to fly with my young, fledgling leadership wings and they were always there to support me and pick me up when I crashed to the ground. Their course corrections came in the way of loving hands and hearts and words. I could not have learned about leadership in a more supportive, loving environment. Looking back I am astounded that I had that gift because so few leaders get that.... I know that now.

So, let's look for places and ways we can support and nurture others who are young to leadership.... no matter how seasoned they may be.

1 comment:

  1. Jill,
    YEAH! You launched your blog! Congrats! My Mom loves her PEO chapter. Keep on leading.
    All the best,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!