29 September 2009

"Tough" Times Call for Leadership with Heart

It seems not a day goes by that I don't hear of another friend, or friend of a friend, getting laid off or having their umpteenth second interview, but never a job offer, and today was no different. I always prefer to focus on the "good" but sometimes we need to look at what "is" and find a way to be with it and not label it good or bad. The truth is that many people are struggling right now and though our family is having struggles we know that there are many that didn't have the resources to fall back on that we're blessed to have.

Times like these seem to call out for leadership with real heart and soul. In fact, it feels like we're being given the opportunity to remember what is truly important, which is love, relationships, family, faith, community, serving others, and being really present in the here and now. I'm trying to focus every day on what is within my control and many times the only thing I can control is how I choose to feel about what is happening around me!

So, how can we lead and nurture others when the world is spinning out of control around us? First, focus on being really present and listening to those you are with. Now, more than ever, we each have the desire to be really heard. Secondly, utilize our networks and abilities to help someone in need move their process forward a step, if that's what they are truly wanting. If it feels like they just want an excuse to stay stuck where they are then bless them and allow them to stay where they feel safest. And, most importantly, now is the time to be a light in the world and if you have the resources to give, then find a way to do so. That friend who's just been through their fifteenth second interview in the past nine months would probably appreciate a cup of coffee and a good friend!

1 comment:

  1. A good friend just lost her job of 16 years. So far, she is pretty up beat. Thinking of this as an opportunity to maybe try something different. I worry for her because in this economy, your choices of something different aren't necessarily that great!

    I had lunch with a friend who is in sales - specifically manufacturing. His business is down considerably. He's worried. Had a record year two years ago. But he still has a positive outlook.

    I truly think that is the key. When John's work was down earlier this year, I panicked. Adds a lot of unnecessary stress to an already stressful situation.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Houston, TX, United States
I've led a lot and followed plenty of times, too. All these experiences have given me some interesting perspective into what makes someone a leader worth following. And what constitutes ethical leadership? We usually can smell it when's it not, so let's find the examples in the world of people leading in an ethical and authentic way! My passion is community leadership but I think the lessons of leadership transcend place and specifics. I'd love to hear what you think about leadership!